Passion for gardening was never more evident than during the Covid-19 pandemic as families sheltered at home and turned their yards into practical and beautiful garden sanctuaries. Demand for plants, horticultural products, services and experiences was unprecedented in 2020. The Canadian Garden Council is committed to ensure it will continue into the future and is proud to proclaim 2022 as Canada’s Year of the Garden in honour of the CNLA Centennial.
The Canadian Ornamental Horticulture Alliance (COHA) which includes the Canadian Nursery Landscape Association, Flowers Canada and Québec Vert (FIHOQ) has endorsed it, therefore bringing the Canadian Horticulture sector – the Garden-Family – together to Plant Gardens.
To date we’ve received over 150 letters of support from members of the Garden Family.
Research confirmed that over four in five Canadians expect to spend the same time (66%) or more time (21%) gardening in 2021 than 2020; younger Canadians are twice as likely to spend more time gardening in 2021 than older Canadians; over eight in ten Canadians agree (55%) or somewhat agree (29%) that gardening can have a positive impact on climate change; a strong majority of Canadians agree (70%) or somewhat agree (26%) that gardening can improve their mental and physical health – source: NANOS Research, November 2020.
As the country recovers, and public interest is high, the Year of the Garden 2022 consumer campaign will spotlight Canada’s rich horticulture / garden heritage, promote today’s vibrant garden culture, and create important legacies for a sustainable future through horticulture.
The Year of the Garden 2022 will bring the Garden-Family from across the country together and make it easy for Canadians to “Learn and Get Inspired”, “Do and Get Results” and to “Experience and Enjoy” gardening and gardens and the benefits they provide. It will turn interest into action to “Plant A Garden” / “Put Some Garden in Your Life” and drive demand for plants, products, services and experiences.
Research identified that four in five Canadians support (50% support and 30% somewhat support) designating 2022 as the Year of the Garden – source: NANOS Research, November 2020
How important is this high level of support to Canadian Garden-Family enterprises and organizations? It is a timely opportunity for all nursery, greenhouse and sod growers, garden product manufacturers, retail garden centres, and service providers like designers, landscape installers and maintainers, arborists, and green roof specialists to collaborate as an industry to help grow its future. And for every business, organization and specialty associations that provides garden experiences, public gardens, horticultural societies, garden events and activities, to embrace the Year of the Garden 2022 and help inspire Canadians with horticulture.
All it will take is every member of Canada’s Garden-Family to take a few simple steps:
- Subscribe to the Year of the Garden 2022 Newsletter to keep up to date with latest program developments (subscribe below).
- Think about how you would add the Year of the Garden 2022 to your existing marketing and promotional campaign, or use the Year of the Garden 2022 as the basis for a new marketing and promotional campaign as part of the Year of the Garden. Your Horticulture Trade Association will be providing ideas, inspirations and guidelines in the coming months
- This summer*, register your business or organization on the Year of the Garden 2022 website (nominal fees will apply) in order to receive:
- The Year of the Garden 2022 logo and authorization for use
- A door decal to identify your business as participating in the Year of the Garden 2022
- Instructions to Pin your location and type of enterprise or organization on the Year of the Garden 2022 map for public searches
- Add a description of your campaign to create public awareness
- Connect with your local community, schools, garden clubs etc. to collaborate on ways to celebrate The Year of the Garden 2022 together
- Connect with your local media to share your The Year of the Garden 2022 plans and activities
- This fall*, activities, special events or promotions can be added to the Year of the Garden 2022 Calendar: as many and as often as you like to assist in public searches
- Be creative. The Year of the Garden 2022 is about inspiring and encouraging Canadians to plant gardens in their life – at home, at work, and in their community.
- Share your thoughts about the Year of the Garden 2022 with the Garden Council.
- * exact timing and steps currently under development. Watch upcoming Year of the Garden 2022 Newsletters for details
How will you Promote Your Business for the Year of the Garden?
The Year of the Garden 2022 is managed by the Canadian Garden Council Year of the Garden Management Team. This special team is collaborating with an Advisory Board co-chaired by Gloria Beck and Gaetan Brunet and representative of the Garden-Family.
They will also collaborate with a Management Advisory Committee consisting of staff representation of the Founding Partners.